OVERVIEWLuxury Tailormade Holidays
The USA is so expansive that every state seems like an individual country in itself. Stretching across the width of North America, the USA has an abundance of notable landmarks, and with so much to see and do, you’ll be coming back, time and again. The best way to see this epic country is to opt for a fly-drive, renting a car and driving state by state through the nation’s heartland.
If a road trip isn’t quite for you, there’s plenty of states to choose from for your dream holiday. Visit New York City, the most populous city in the USA, where you can watch a performance at the Broadway Theater, soak up some history and art in one of the many galleries or museums, visit the Statue of Liberty, or shop ’til you drop on Fifth Avenue. If you’re more of a beach lover, Florida has sun, sea and theme parks galore – a perfect choice for families. Heading west from the east coast, foodies are well catered for with the buzzing evenings, live music and fabulous Cajan street food of New Orleans, while those who love the outdoors will admire the breathtaking national parks of rugged Arizona. On the west coast, Los Angeles brings the glitz and glamour of the Hollywood film industry, alongside fabulous beaches and a laid-back pace, while San Francisco delivers an amazing food scene and iconic sites like Alcatraz Island and the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’re after an adults’ playground, Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world, situated in the Nevada desert.
- The USA currency is the United States Dollar (USD), and comes in 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollar bills.
- You will require either a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) visa waiver to enter the USA as a visitor. Tourist ESTAs are valid for 90 days.
- Traffic laws vary from state to state, and driving is on the right hand side of the road.
- For emergency services when travelling in the USA, dial 911.
- Under US Federal Law, the minimum legal age for both buying and consuming alcohol is 21 years old.
- Medical care in the USA can be very expensive – take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.
Best time to travel
The north and south of the USA have very different climates. In the north and east, heavy snowfall and cold temperatures are common in winter months. Spring temperatures can take as late as May to develop. The south of the country is generally much warmer all year round, but can feel very hot and humid between June and August. Between September and October and May to June are good months to visit the USA if you’re looking for pleasant weather. Bear in mind that hurricanes can occur in the south of the USA in August and September.